PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Officers Sword
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2018, 10:22
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Old-Duffer
Unfortunately TTN, a Bates hat is not a Bates hat as you and I remember them, as I discovered to my cost and annoyance.

The Bates name was sold and the Bates original was not retained by the purchaser but an inferior style offered as a Bates hat.

Now that all kit comes from 'stores' the No: 1 trousers don't have belt loops nor a back pocket, the hat is horrid to behold and most of the other stuff is cheap and second rate.

Old Duffer
Spot on about stores issue. The No 2 blues are shockingly bad. The shirts both fade and the material wears rapidly; start with a shirt and 6 months later you’ve got something that looks more like material used for a negligee. As for the trousers, they have a care label that says wash, but actually put them in the washer and very quickly fine threads start to appear that give the impression of a dog having slept on them.

But back to the OP, I used a bayonet on Ops more than I’ve ever used a ceremonial sword - weddings only. Most swords I know are case mounted or hung on study walls etc, slightly bulky as a JO being moved around every 5 minutes. Another suggestion might be a good quality ink pen which has the potential for daily use and should last a long time if you don’t have a habit of losing them.