PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Listening Squawk protocol!?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2018, 03:32
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by ENDRES
Hi All,
Recently flying to the south of East Midlands control zone, on the listening squawk as i didn't think getting a basic service was needed (initially at least).
I heard ATC talking to another aircraft travelling in opposite direction to me in the area, warning them of my presence. The other aircraft acknowledged and responded that they understood and would look out.

Should I have then made contact, acknowledged the potential conflict and requested a basic service to best ensure separation? Visibility wasn't great, but in the end I opted to maintain a good lookout, trust that the other traffic was doing the same and that ATC were aware of my position and altitude, so carried on with the listening squawk.

All was fine and the traffic passed well clear, but can't help thinking that maybe responding would have made life easier? What do others do in this situation?

Thanks!
You were playing by the rules so you did 'nothing wrong' (as MPs always say when accused of something) however I would have been inclined to call up and confirm altitude and intended route thus adding to the 'situational awareness' of both ATC and the other aircraft.
You have no way of knowing how many other aircraft were on the listening squawk in addition to you so it may not even have been you the controller was talking about.