PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Little Gem from CASA Experts
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2018, 01:51
andrewr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
It is indeed patently clear you don't understand.
You are correct.

When I first read John Deakin's articles on Avweb 15 or so years ago, I was convinced LOP was good and I was happy.

But I was good at physics and chemistry at school, and Deakin posted a couple of things where the physics and chemistry were obviously wrong. I didn't understand. So I did some reading from other sources.

Since then I have read all the Deakin articles, various NACA reports, articles by Lycoming, other engine designers, engine tuners, information about the big radials, talked to a guy who does engine management system consulting for various manufacturers and race teams, and basically anything else I can get my hands on. It's a subject that interests me.

There is a lot out there from a lot of different sources that contradicts what APS have in their public materials.

That's one reason why I asked (unanswered) what sources other than APS have you used for your information?

On the other hand I have found nothing apart from the Deakin & APS information that contradicts what is in the engine manuals.

My conclusion is that yes, I don't understand. What I do know however is that it is a very complex subject, much more complex than APS indicate.

I certainly don't understand enough to be confident ignoring the manufacturers recommendations. From what I have seen of APS I doubt they could change that.

andrew: Please save your questions for the APS.
Will they answer them, or just give an answer like "Well it stands to reason, cooler is better"

Do they actually have real data gathered from engines in the field, with at least a basic level of correction for uncontrolled variables?