PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Little Gem from CASA Experts
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2018, 23:39
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
Nonetheless, the fact remains that a conforming engine is proven not to detonate when run at the settings recommended.
Nonetheless, the fact remains that conforming engines have been proven to detonate when run at some of the settings recommended.

Could you walk us through the test equipment used and cite the data produced by the engine manufacturers during certification mid-last century to "prove" that a conforming engine never detonates at any of the recommended settings? A very sophisticated test cell used contemporarily proves otherwise.

When GAMI obtained the STC and corresponding POH supplement for LOP operations from the FAA, how did all those engines (like mine) fitted with GAMIjectors that had been run LOP for years before suddenly 'know' that it was 'safe' to do so?

Why have I never had a plug with a cracked ceramic insulator (at least not after I've run it - I make damned sure they aren't fitted with defects)? I've had a few fail at altitude and quite a few defective new out of the packet, but no cracked insulators.

This thread has some interesting theories and pontification a from so called experts: mostly flying other people's aircraft.
Could you identify the posters who fly other people's aircraft? For my part, it's my engine. My life depends on it.

We operate an aircraft with GTISO 520 engines. Our SOPs are simple 55% power setting and slightly rich. Fuel is cheap but an overhaul is expensive.
So why have my engines gone hundreds of hours past TBO when run on "interesting theories" rather than your evidently scientifically-based "55% power setting and slightly rich"?

Oggers mentioned certification. My engine is certified to run at maximum rated power, continuously, to TBO. Whether it will do that in fact depends on the quality of manufacture (sadly deteriorating) the quality of maintenance (can be variable) and the nut behind the wheel operating it in accordance with the laws of physics, hopefully supplemented by input from an engine monitor, rather than POH-enshrined and regulator-perpetuated folklore.