PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need of a Scandinavian language?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2003, 21:13
olholh

Scandinavian Language

I am a retired Wideroe captain. Done 20 years there, and 10 years eslewhere.

One of the first things I learned was the need to communicate in order to understand what was said, and often, what was not said.

People was kind to me at first. Then as time went on, it became more and more clear that I had to succumbe to the culture I was in at the time, and learn the language the best way I could, and as fast as I possibly could. Once that was decided, things went pretty easily, and I learned a lot. And how much richer life became!

This happened in the US, Guyana, England, Sudan, Gabon and in Norway.

I can just see you at the ground school in BOO, trying to decipher what the instructors are saying; you're in a group with 15 other guy's and gal's, all Norwegian, and you not being able to utter one word in the language.

Do not try to make this into anything political, or anything other than the mere fact that their native language is Norwegian. If you decide to go down that route, so be it. You're the one loosing out. If you decide to try to learn some, and get in, you'll find a whole new world opening up to you. You'll be a winner!

There are several courses in Norwegian available, check the net. Give yourself six weeks and you'll be able to communicate, at least........with the girls!

Good Luck!