PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2018, 05:46
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chocks away,
All your reading list does, and no surprise to me, is reinforce you own prejudices. A rather tenuous grasp on statistical analysis just helps you reinforce your own views.

As you have admitted, accident rates are going down, not up.

Strange as it may be to you, a reduction in (loosely) "other causes" resulting in an increase in the proportion of "human error" causes, and an absolute increase in "human error/pilot error" are not the same thing.

In the real world, and excluding niche risks, aviation hull insurance rates have not generally been going up, and any reason for volatility is usually fairly obvious.

And, by the way, I have been in the aviation business, including some interesting experience in GA insurance, for quite a while --- the sharp end of the business. I hardly need spoon feeding.

Finally, the revered Captain Dan Maurino, late of ICAO, would tell you that ALL/100% of aviation accidents are human factors accidents.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I am well acquainted with former Indian Minister of Civil Aviation, Praful Patel, as it turns out, I would suggest he is not a very good source for wisdom on air safety matters, let alone accident causes.

Last edited by LeadSled; 6th Apr 2018 at 06:05. Reason: PS added.