PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Little Gem from CASA Experts
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2018, 00:05
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
What about 24" MP, 2400 RPM - about 70% power on an IO-360 - at peak EGT as approved by the Lycoming manual. Thrashing or punishing?
Neither, provided all cylinders are at peak. However, you could move to thrash or punish territory if you were to change the mixture to around 25C ROP. If you have an all-cylinder engine monitor, you will see it before your very eyes.

What’s the fetish with “as approved by the Lycoming manual”? Is 24.734” MP and 2,355 RPM “approved”?

If you are looking for detonation, you won't necessarily find it at maximum RPM and full power.
Correct. That’s one of the reasons why reducing RPM to 2,500 after take off, IAW the OWT, increases risk. It has the effect of reducing thetaPPP. I.e. it moves the peak pressure point closer to TDC.

This is also why the AWB highlighting LOP operations and not the operations that are more likely to cause problems is mumbo-jumbo.

[T]he "Limiting manifold pressure for continuous operation" line.
What an interesting line. I’ve never heard of it.

As I said in an earlier post, my SOP is wide open throttle from the commencement of the take off roll until entering the circuit at my destination. In other words, the MP is continuously as high as it could possibly be. In cruise I just set the RPM to wherever the engine feels smooth - it’s interesting to note how this varies with different propellers - I imagine it has something to do with resonance and other esoteric issues. I haven’t a clue what the POH says about RPM and MP, and I’m not inclined to waste my time reading it. My SOPs are based on science and the evidence of the instruments in front of me.