PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts
Thread: Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2018, 02:10
Laker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to work for EK and now work for a major airline in the US. I earn about the same now, average 17-19 days off/month, complete control of my schedule, training is a piece of cake, strong union, etc. Yet at times I still miss Emirates. There is no denying that Emirates provides things most airlines can't. The expat lifestyle, a worldwide route network, working with people from every corner of the globe, tax free money, pretty FA's, First Class travel, wide body acft, etc.

In my case the negatives eventually outweighed the positives and I felt like I was devoting my whole life to Emirates and Dubai. I was constantly fatigued and didn't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I left for a better company when I had the chance. But I wouldn't trade my years working for Emirates for anything.
So far it's been the most dynamic part of my career.

I would still leave knowing what I know now because 20+ years in the Middle East sounds like a prison sentence. But at the same time flying back and forth from JFK-LAX for 30 years sounds like just about the most boring flying job in the world. My advice would be to start looking for a better job but try to enjoy the experience while it lasts.