PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Industry Employee Engagement Survey 2018
Old 5th Apr 2018, 01:20
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IAW
Employee engagement and satisfaction about equal amongst those three. Dismal across the whole industry.

Steve, what is your organisation doing to battle sham contracting arrangements in the Engineering side of things? Engineers just want full time jobs so they can pay (or even qualify for) a mortgage.

Companies are rewarded with engaged and positive employees. The rise of contracting companies within our industry is KILLING our industry.

I lost a (previously full time) mate to suicide this year so it's close to home.
I agree this contracting sham is bad for everyone except CEOs. In Engineering, both Jetstar and Virgin use them. Qantas do as well in Heavy Maintenance but not for LAMEs. The bloke have no job security.

What are we doing about it? Every EA we try and prevent the growth of contractors but the airlines always strongly oppose any limitations knowing that they can hire and fire contractors with ease.

Collectively the unions who are in the ACTU (AIPA, FAAA and ALAEA) are working on the drafting of a new set of workplace laws revamping the entire useless Fair Work Act. In the case of our union, we are lending our in house Lawyer 3 days a week to the ACTU to work on the drafting.

The current laws allow airlines to use contractors at will. They are stacked against workers in all industries. We need fairer laws and the revamped FWA will hopefully give us that. No LNP Govt. would ever support these changes however so their implementation is contingent on the ALP winning control of both houses.

I know most Pilots would be more inclined to vote conservative. I haven't voted ALP for a long time either. I will this time. I view it like this. The single most important thing to me and our members is our income. Electricity prices, road tolls, gay marriage, immigration and the way schools are funded mean nothing if you don't have an income.

Contracting will change if we get rid of Turnbull.