PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B mandate – huge misallocation of resources
Old 4th Apr 2018, 23:56
Dexta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Approach
ADS-B not used in major terminal areas due to a 5NM separation requirement - 3NM is used in terminals which SSR and multilateration systems (SYD Only) can provide (Tasmanian multilat is 5NM system). Primary radar only used around capital cities to guard airspace boundaries. If DS had asked an en-route sector controller they would have been able to see his ADS-B provided there was a nearby receiver - current ones are designed to cover airspace above FL290 but show all ADS-B within range.
Then tell me why the exemption for private GA aircraft under 10,000' not to have ADS-B excludes them from Class C airports? I can fly through Class C to a Class D without ADS-B but I must have ADS-B to fly IFR into Adelaide which actually cannot "see" me on ADS-B. My alternate for YGWA is mostly YPAD as it has excellent RNAV approaches and is not too far from home, but now, without fitting an expensive piece of equipment, I cannot use YPAD as an alternate and must either go to YKSC and be stuck on an island until the weather clears or cancel IFR and take my chances, despite YPAD being perfectly capable of seeing me on SSR!
I understand aviation can be expensive but I'd rather spend the $10-$15K on other things than on ADS-B which is useless for my regular route between YMEN and YGWA above 5000'.