PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Derry/Londonderry 2
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 23:25
jamessh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys I have three points here,

1: Gentlemen it seems there has been a is-understanding. I myself am no Aviation professional but I believe I know more than the average hobbyist. My intention was not to state that I will start an airline out of thin air. It was more of a call to light why nobody has done it. As for the PSO point, this is a good argument. Of course no one would dream of using all of the PSO to put towards equipment you could maybe go through the 50/50 route and have the other half put into the pot to cover any loss making first few months and any troubling periods. I am no aviation expert and never stated that, my intention was to simply argue the point of if worst came to worst at CODA it would perhaps be a viable option for both the airport and the 'airline' who wished to operate flights. I was simply trying to state it is a potentially viable option if done right. Wideroe in Norway have based an entire business on PSO and this was a part of CityWing's business model.

2: There seems to be a constant negativity surrounding startup airlines in general. It's almost like people want or are expecting them to fail before they get in the air. Air Wales was what I believe to be a fairly successful airline (I put it's demise down to poor financial decisions) that was started on the back of nothing. It is an example of a startup that served a relativity niche market and was a massive boost for EGFF. I just don't understand the constant hate towards startup airlines especially in the UK. I think it would be nice to see more popping up every now and again. I do however agree that Firnas are going nowhere. Not being hypocritical but I believe that they are destined to fail for many reasons maybe that calls for a thread? Please link me if there already is one

3: Moving away from airline startup talk, the situation with BMI Regional. I am thrilled that CODA now has regular traffic and things do seem to be in an upward trend. I do however disagree with the pricing on the BMI route. The lowest I have found it is £89 return which is what I think is steep considering how cheap landing fees at CODA and Stansted, the aircraft are owned outright, they are relativity fuel efficient and they have 3.8 million extra in the bank to go alongside. It just seems strange that they are over charging for this. Can someone shed light on this? Additionally while we are on this subject does anyone know why Stobart Air have not looked into Derry? I understand that aerarran tried and failed but I just cannot see why 10 years later they didn't give it ago and run for the PSO or any other routers from the airport.

Sorry again guys if I have caused offense or can across wrong. I was just making a point and I have worded it horribly. Let's start afresh? happy flying!