PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Little Gem from CASA Experts
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 21:33
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
Note I am not saying LOP causes detonation, I am saying LOP at high power can cause detonation, for instance when a pilot forgets to set the mixture full rich before take off or go-around on a hot day.
On my engine the throttle is left full from the start of the take off roll to joining the circuit at the destination. From the top of descent to the shut down the mixture control is at whatever the cruise setting was - usually LOP. (Sometimes I’ll have to give it twist or two richer, but I’ll be on the lean side of peak all the way down.)

Walk me through how I’d get detonation if I went to full throttle to go around, without touching the mixture. Note that the engine would in that case be set precisely where it was set when I arrived in the circuit. And I can see on the engine monitor that the CHTs are lovely and cool.

I might not have as much power as I could safely draw from the engine if I leave the mixture LOP, which is why I would as SOP go full rich. But note I’m not going full rich to avoid detonation LOP, but rather to get more power at a safe mixture.

And not I’m not setting the mixture to get maximum power - around 25C ROP - as that would be the mixture that would maximise the likelihood of .... detonation, particularly if I’ve forgotten to set the prop to maximum RPM.