PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disbanding Sqns Part 2
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 21:18
Easy Street

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by insty66
Today I saw an IBN detailing the removal of the (R) from Sqn numbers...
That’ll be IBN 3/18, published without protective marking or restriction on discussion.

...(and other bracketed qualifiers)
It says no such thing; in fact it’s explicit that formerly-held designators could be reapplied for by the ex-‘R’ sqns.

I'm sure it said that the removal would be backdated to allow seniority to be accrued.
I quote: “Former (R) Designated sqns will resume accrual of sqn seniority from 1 Feb 18”.

Is this a sneaky plot to recover a favorite number plate by a senior officer or a way of making it look like there are more active Sqns?
The note is explicit that one of the aims of the change is to (quote) “protect the seniority of sqns”. So nothing sneaky about it whatsoever. The sqn which sticks out a mile as the principal beneficiary of the new policy is IV and there’s plenty of senior support there. It’s also interesting to consider whether the new incarnation of 12 might have been as 12(R), and whether this incentivised ACAS - a former OC 12 - to push for change to this arcane bit of policy. IV and 12 will now stop sliding down the list. I’d imagine the plan would be to keep 12 alive when the Qatari deal ends, and maybe some numberplate-swapping shenanigans at Valley (not strictly allowed, but see II(AC) Tornado-Typhoon switch) to bring IV back into the STOVL game as a Lightning sqn in the distant future.

Last edited by Easy Street; 5th Apr 2018 at 07:45.