PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - service ceiling of s92
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 20:10
HeliTester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
santynavayath......

From the above definitions it is not very clear whether ceiling climb MUST BE done at maximum continuous power ONLY.
Your original question deals with the S-92, and since the S-92 does not have a Dual Engine 30-Minute power rating (during forward flight), a service ceiling climb validation test must be done at Maximum Continuous Power.

Now if a manufacturer makes a claim that service ceiling is y metres, however you need to use 30 minutes rating to climb from x metres to y meters (climb time from x metres to y metres is well below 30 mts), should one accept service ceiling as y metres .... or x metres?
I don’t understand your question. I recall that some military helicopters have both 30-Minute and Maximum Continuous Dual Engine power ratings, so they would have separate 30-Minute and Maximum Continuous service ceilings that would be different from each other. If you want to validate the service ceiling determined from the S-92 Flight Manual (see my previous post), I suggest you do a continuous climb using Maximum Continuous Power at the Best Rate of Climb speed, from the takeoff altitude to the Pressure Altitude at which the observed rate of climb decreases to exactly 100 feet per minute. Note the helicopter weight, Pressure Altitude, and Air Temperature at the 100 feet per minute ceiling for comparison with the ceiling determined from the Flight Manual Chart.