PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Derry/Londonderry 2
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 16:54
Fly757X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamessh
Hi all,

Sorry this is my first post but I just had to get involved with this forum. I've been monitoring it for a while and what an interesting discussion it has turned out to be! Surely it would be worth the community creating a startup? You would be surprised how little startup capital is needed to start operations with a single ATR 42. There is the potential to bid for the PSO when that comes round shortly and that's 2-4 million in cash right there in capital if an advance payment deal is reached. I have ran up some figures and it is very possible indeed. Just a thought I had, there must be people on pprune who know a thing or two about aviation management and would love to get on board. You have all the residents of Derry and the save the airport Facebook page especially who would be delighted with a low fare community startup never mind the grants and financial backing the council and council committee would give if needed. CODA would be delighted and the landing fees are dirt cheap as it is. Just a thought however let me know what you think...

James,
After the previous event of "Irelair" there would little/no support. What the airport needs is the reduction in APD and regional based carriers like the one you suggested. Making a airline is a lot more than playing AirlinesEmpire. As for the PSO I think BMI will continue with it as there hasn't been too many issues with it bar a few weeks ago but that has all cleared up. I like the ambition but realistically it takes much more than a group from an aviation forum to make something like this come off.