PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline gender pay gap
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 07:59
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the BBC, the gender pay gap at Ryanair Ltd:

The average woman at this company is paid 71.8% less than the average man. That's a higher pay gap than the national average which is 18.4%. Women make up 3% of higher-paid jobs and 57% of lower-paid jobs.
I’m not sure which shocks me the most. Is it the fact that the person constructing the survey chose not to compare pay by function or the fact that government policy may be changed as a direct result of this survey. I’m not normally one to defend Ryanair but to the best of my knowledge, they pay by function not according to the tackle between your legs. Furthermore, there are no gender barriers preventing entry into any Ryanair job.

The problem, if there is one, is that girls (of both sexes) decide not to choose to fly aircraft and boys (of both sexes) do not apply to become cabin crew. Whose fault is this? It is certainly not Ryanair’s. They pay the same no matter what your gender. If this is a problem that needs fixing, the solution will not be found with government action based of this survey. In my opinion, the best thing that can happen as a result of this survey is that anyone who believes it has a value should be drowned in public to serve as a discouragement for any other idiot who wishes to waste public time and money.

PM

Last edited by Piltdown Man; 4th Apr 2018 at 08:35.