PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Pollock
Thread: Alan Pollock
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 20:14
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
cvg2iln,

To be honest, I don't think it is quite so easy to sit in judgement and find one way or t'other, is all that simple where Alan Pollock is concerned. Your absolutely right, he shouldn't have broken away from his formation, much less tried to dragoon the rest of the pilots on the Tangmere detachment to do the houses of parliament as I believe he proposed the night before. However, that he did what he did, while the grown ups could never condone it (he knew that) he seems to have genuinely believed that the kind of country we were becoming, indeed become, was utterly indifferent to the oldest independent air force, theirs, reaching its milestone Golden Jubilee. One particular Jaguar pilot many years later described occasions here he had acted with a certain degree of unrestrained song and fire and other aircrew have told me of their own, albeit more borderline moments of excess, but as the Jag chap said when he stood before his Station Commander his excuse was to describe his own actions as born of fighting spirit. I doubt if the CO suddenly snapped his fingers and said 'darn yes of course!' but the point is, just who do we really want strapping into the cockpit when the RAF has to confront a more demanding situation, a war for national survival? I'd take the Alan Pollocks and the Jag pilot anytime.

FB