PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MATZ penetration and communication with a military airfield
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 20:10
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Calls to Airfields with MATZ

TO start with they are a dying breed rather than an expanding force, so not really a problem there. However what is becoming an increasing element is the reduced hours of operation of the service on offer.
As alluded before a MATZ is not controlled airspace and therefore not mandatory; however a call to the freq is sensible even if only to alert someone of your intentions. If they do not respond at least other aircraft on freq will hear and therefore be aware. In my neck of the woods the local MATZ service now notams its opening hours in the summer; however this hardly makes the operation easier to operate with as they also 'open up' at other times when suits. I always treat a MATZ as live and call, but then give my intentions rather than ask for permission (which I do not need). If there is no reply on the MATZ freq I then call twr and see if any one is at home. We all tend to know what goes on in our local area, but there is a responsibility of those who 'oversee airspace' to staff it as it should be and not put more 'issues' in the system.