PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Southern wannabes
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 18:33
mach85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to keep all the onlookers in the know on what’s happening at CSA to help you make an informed decision.

Recently a foreign pilot was flying China-Europe and was in Minsk control. There was a shift change for the FO’s while the crew got cleared direct. As the FO change was happening the foreign pilot executed the ‘direct to’ by himself.
Later Minsk control asked where they were flying to. They checked and realised they had executed the wrong direct to so were slightly off route. Those who have flown this route will know that it’s pretty much a straight line anyway. Minsk controller was not in the slightest bit bothered and said not to worry. FO’s and the other Capt had other ideas though. They decided that they would ‘report themselves’ when they landed DESPITE the controller saying that for him was no problem at all.
The last I heard they were just 3nm off route so no big deal.

Crew were immediately grounded ‘pending investigation.’
Decision now is 6 months grounding for the crew in the office with NO PAY!!!! Just to rub salt in the wounds, the foreign pilot involved is EU based and is supposed to serve this punishment in Guangzhou despite having a young family in Europe. Yeah right........

Anyway just wanted to keep the facts coming for all the onlookers here. These kind of things are good to know before making any career decisions. Boy I wish I had known all this beforehand......

These kind of ‘non events’ are so easy on a red eye flight full of fatigue that they could happen to absolutely anybody.

Cheers,