PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grading 747/777 Modern Cockpit
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 13:03
eckhard

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Dreamer666,

I don’t know about the 777 but on the 747-400 you can display a raw compass rose with VOR/ADF needles.

Select ‘VOR’ on the ND mode selector (on the outboard glare-shield) and then press to get the CTR (centre) display. That way you will see a full compass rose.

Next, use the FMC CDU mode keys (on the forward control stand) to display the radio tuning page and tune the desired VORs and NDBs. You can also select the desired VOR course on this page.

Then use the little silver switches on the EFIS control panel to display left and/or right VOR or ADF arrows as desired on the ND compass rose.

The VOR needles are green and the ADF needles are blue. ‘Left’ needles are single and ‘right’ needles are double.

Any needle which is not being used can be switched off, to avoid clutter and confusion.

The VOR course (if selected on the FMC CDU) will appear as a standard beam-bar, together with a to/from pointer.

Tuned Frequencies, Idents and DME information will also be displayed.

What is your location and where is the assessment? I may be able to help more. I am an ex-instructor/examiner on the 747-400.

Last edited by eckhard; 3rd Apr 2018 at 13:18.