PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trial introductory flight for the larger gentleman?
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 06:10
Ben.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah so this escalated quickly. Out of boredom, I started calling around a few places this morning. I got onto one mob at Moorabin called MFS and commenced my trial flight about 2 hours later.

I will say first and foremost that they were really helpful. They got me in a plane straight away to see how I fitted, making sure all controls were good and that I was comfortable before anything else. Captain was a young guy, very easy to get along with, explained everything clearly and even let me handle the take off!

I was in a Piper PA28 warrior, which served its purpose for the trial flight but realistically I wouldn't be able to undertake long term training in it. My head was into the roof and left knee jammed hard into the arm rest, especially when going left on the yolk. I was also reminded that my suffering of motion sickness isn't limited to being on water. My god those smaller planes move around a lot!

All in all, the whole experience was over pretty quick (that's what she said?), I tried to take in as much as possible but there was SO MUCH going on for a novice like me that my mental retention was minimal. From here I think I might keep looking around to find another school with a bigger plane and get a bit more time in the air to see if the motion sickness settles down a little.

Appreciate all the input guys, thanks again!