PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted Flight Diversion - Best Way to Recover Expenses?
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 16:22
skyviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Diversion Expenses Claim

We had similar situation in May 2010 with ash cloud scenario (I nearly said fiasco). We were flying Alicante - Doncaster & I knew before the departure that DSA was closed (so the airlines must have also known) but nothing was announced about diversion until we were an hour into the flight & informed we would be landing at Stansted & we were all told that buses would be taking passengers to DSA. At Stansted arrivals, packed with passengers from similar diverted flights, Swissport agents were handing out claims forms & informing there were no buses. I managed to get a taxi, also 4 other passengers who we knew from our flight, so saving the airline the cost of 2 other taxis. The following process was most obstructive, I think designed to put claimants off pursuing expenses claims. I think it was this era that created the legal precedents with the EU261 regulations. To cut the story short, after writing several letters (only allowed to fax at that time!) which I made sure were compliant with the legal procedures required for legal action, my final letter in October was to state that if I did not receive full payment within 28 days I would commence legal action for payment plus legal expenses. I received a letter & enclosed cheque 7 days later. Main points, retain boarding passes & proper receipts, not just card payment slips. If you have to send them to airline, get photocopies & keep copies of all correspondence quoting EU261. I think the procedure should be easier nowadays but check your airline's website for its proceedures, you aren't the only person with the problem.