PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barriers To Prosperity: Red Tape And The Regulatory State In Australia
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 10:32
vne165

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
Thorn bird: Pages of regulations (1988 + 1998) plus civil aviation orders plus manuals of standards plus determinations, permissions, approvals and exemptions?

My estimate, based on a page count of the more substantial bits of the dog’s breakfast: Around 30,000 pages and growing.

I doubt whether anyone could reasonably be confident of knowing and understanding the entirety of the current Australian civil aviation regulatory regime. I would presume any claimant of that knowledge and understanding to be a psychopath or insane.
This thread is worth persisting with. And I'd suggest a picture may be worth a thousand words (or 30,000 pages in this case). If anyone is mad enough to have hard copies of this 'dog's breakfast' of paperwork, I'd love to see it all stacked beside an aircraft.
In what would be a delicious irony, I'm guessing it would exceed the MTOW if you loaded it all up...perhaps for a LSA or a homebuilt anyway. Given that a single sheet of 80gsm A4 weighs 5g.....that's 150kgs in paper alone.

Then a second picture with the equivalent AIPs/CAOs from 20 years ago. Might be a useful illustration of where things are and perhaps someone might run with it to make the point.
Just a thought..