PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warplanes of the Second World War - William Green
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 08:16
Haraka

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks H.H. Now in a better place so we can thread drift a bit. Polecat2 noted that "I think William Green's last work was "Aircraft of the Third Reich 1933-45 Vol.1"
Of course the original effort was his "Warplanes of the Third Reich" first published ( by Macdonald ) in 1970.This A4 tome of nearly 700 pages was for me at the time a base reference on German warplanes 1933-45: my 1972 edition cost a tenner. As Polecat2 has noted this was expanded, e.g.to include captured aircraft (why?) and hopefully updated with corrections c.2010. I had a glimmer of interest in the Aerospace effort until I saw the pricing, IIRC around 100 pounds for the three volume set. In the meantime of course Putnams had come out with Smith and Kay's "German Aircraft of the Second World War" (smaller format but c750p.p.) My edition was 20 pounds in 1985 . To be honest I felt Aerospace had misjudged the market, especially considering the impact of the Internet.
Going back to a more innocent era(1950's) the Dumpy books were cheap, basic and for a small boy a great stimulant to discovering aviation and aeroplanes. Also the quality of language and explanation was high. For another example, the "Boys Book of Flight" (published for "Flight" in 1957) shows a level of required literacy that pushed readers to expand their comprehension of aeronautical matters.

Last edited by Haraka; 2nd Apr 2018 at 08:26.