PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7-5 Contracts
Thread: 7-5 Contracts
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2018, 22:53
ChrisE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Okavango
Some employers seem to make the above offers (TC one I think). Is the belief that you go and find something else to do for the 5 months effectively out of work and are you free to do so (if so what are people doing?) and otherwise do they simply pay you a reduced salary over 12 months and expect you to be on standby?
Hi Okavango,

You're right TC do still have 7/5 contracts, I was initially recruited on one. You can find alternative work over those 5 months, although I believe the contract states that it must not directly affect Thomas Cook (i.e working for a direct competitor) and must be approved by a manager beforehand. A few guys I know have found other flying jobs during the 5 months off and may not return (because they've been offered full-time elsewhere).

Salary wise, it's a yearly salary pro-rated over the 7 months paid either fully for 7 months or split over 12 months, the choice remains with the employee. Also, you are not on standby for the 5 months off - it's rostered as part year off - TC do often recall pilots before the 5 months is complete, but generally pilots in their PYO won't be rostered or called for any flying duties.

Last edited by ChrisE; 1st Apr 2018 at 22:55. Reason: Added info