PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beeb- Bailiffs sent in to recover compensation - TUI & Easyjet especially
Old 1st Apr 2018, 09:11
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am surprised this article refers to bailiffs. I have seen a couple of the programme "The Sheriffs Are Coming" (also BBC) featuring recoveries from both TUI and Easjyet. These differ from the standard CCJ/Bailiff path. If a CCJ fails to get the result, the case is then elevated to the High Court by the plaintiff. The High Court then issues a writ of possession which is enforced by the Sheriffs (now known as High Court Enforcement Officers). They have different powers to the bailiffs and are basically there to take away your assets. An alternative to having your assets removed and sold is to pay up the amount owed immediately. A slightly different slant from the bailiffs' "pay up or else...", they operate on the basis of "we will remove your goods but there is a way out..".
One of the interesting cases involving aviation was a small operator at (I think) Blackpool who didn't want to play. Once the Sheriffs had gained access to one of his aircraft, they removed the COA and insurance documents and it was game set and match! They got the money.