PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC/IR(R).. going on to CBIR.
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2018, 08:57
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scoobster
What is PBN? Sorry not come across that before.. Let me google it..
PBN is Performance Based Navigation. Essentially it means you forget the traditional navaid stuff (NDB, VOR, ILS) but use some sort of Area Navigation (RNAV) method instead. For the majority of us, this means GPS.

There are various ways of doing this accurately, which basically comes down to RNAV or RNP, with the number following that abbreviation indicating the required accuracy. The more accuracy required, the more equipment required. And in all cases, you need a database with the routes, approaches and whatnot, connected to some sort of electronic display (FMS or similar), and sometimes a coupled autopilot.

That, at least, is the 1-minute summary of a 207-page presentation I was sent, and am now working my way through.

Knowledge of PBN becomes mandatory for all IR-rated pilots in the near future, so existing IR-holders will need to do a brush-up course + exam shortly. Those currently under training are supposed to have the PBN element integrated in their RNAV course + exam.

(Unfortunately in NL the authorities are of the opinion that PBN is not required for EIR so no EIR RNAV+PBN course + exams are available. Even though the theory requirements for EIR and CB-IR are the same, so the EIR exams are used by CB-IR students, like me, who do need PBN. A big stink that AOPA NL is now trying to sort out.)