PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MATZ penetration and communication with a military airfield
Old 31st Mar 2018, 17:52
RabC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsc810
Well you were in the UHMRA - the Upper Heyford Mandatory Radio Area as it was at that time so turning on the radio and communicating with them sounds like a very sensible thing to do.
might have been before UHRMZ was implemented; I recall when it came in, and I'm sure Mary had already been flying x/c from Booker for a while back in those days.

I recall regular comms with UH controllers after the RMZ was implemented, when I was flying gliders x/c from Dunstable, where we made contact somewhere around the obvious VFR feature of Calvert Junction - then a live a brick works with smoking chimney next to a railway junction - and (nearly) every time, the American controller was still unaware of where this feature lay in relation to their airspace! You'd think that they would soon learn the obvious landmarks around the edge of their RMZ wouldn't you?! Possibly they were never posted to UH for long enough..!