PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted Flight Diversion - Best Way to Recover Expenses?
Old 31st Mar 2018, 11:23
milzibkit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stansted Flight Diversion - Best Way to Recover Expenses?

Hi All

I'd be grateful for any advice. Our flight into Stansted was diverted last night. We ended up sitting in East Midlands airport for a number of hours awaiting a bus transfer back to Stansted. The ground staff there were clearly doing their best, but had very little to go on.

As we were travelling with a baby and with no information available as to when we may be put in a taxi back to Stansted and no knowledge whether we'd be able to collect our car from outside Stansted terminal, we arranged our own taxi home. We'd eventually been told by ground staff there was no hope of buses and we knew of many diverted flights from Jet 2 and Ryanair into EMA. En route, we found out we could indeed collect our car from the airport parking so we re-routed to Stansted.

The ground staff gave me the contact details for claiming back expenses (the taxi fare) but I'm not sure whether our best course of action is to be clear that we ended up going back to Stansted, or that we went home (home is further than Stansted, but only by a few miles). The fare was pre-paid for home regardless of where we ended up.

We were able to find a taxi because we were free to use any firm, our airline could only use a few firms through their agent which was shared with Jet 2 and Ryanair, thus extremely busy.

By going back to Stansted, have we scuppered any chance of recouping the expense of the taxi, or have we increased our chance? I expect our airline will say their taxis cost much less than ours, but we had no idea when or if said taxi would be provided and with a baby we didn't feel we could wait any longer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.