PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith initiated change to the Civil Aviation Act....
Old 31st Mar 2018, 10:40
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
I started the re write as Chairman of CAA in 1990 not just to simplify but more importantly to reduce every unnecessary cost as Labor had introduced cost recovery after the Bosch report. I told the PM that without major cost reductions there would not be a General Aviation industry in Australia.

Graham Marsh who was in charge of the NZ rewrite had moved to Hong Kong and was working for Cathay. I attempted to get him to come to Aus but he correctly surmised it would be a poisoned chalice and refused.

The Act stating the most important consideration must be safety was used to stop the concentration on removing cost. Then all downhill!

I agree. The opposite to what was proposed has happened.
I remember your tenure well Dick living in WA during the pilots strike.

It was the guts of Bob Hawke ,Ansett and European pilots that changed the restrictive practices of the pilots union. Australians have benefited from the cheap airlines.

Sadly the days of private pilots coming from Europe to Oz for flying safaris are long gone. The money those tourists brought to rental companies and outback communities is now spent in places such as NZ.

Is it too late to make a noise in Canberra?