PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Air Bridge
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2018, 09:07
Wyler

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
MOPARDAVE

I spent 2 years in the Falklands on an accompanied tour (and a further 2 X 4 month unaccompanied). The RIC, with the exception already mentioned, were always the root and cause of most problems. From drunkenness to theft to assault. As to their SNCOs?, all cut from the same cloth. The Officers were somewhat disconnected and, I have to say, pretty ineffectual.
They were transported in Company strength and were always subject to strict discipline in transit. However, off the leash at MPA they were a pain in the arse.
However, it must be remembered that they are not recruited for their social skills or knowledge of what fork goes with which dish. So it really should not come as any surprise that, given half a chance, they will kick off. Is that not what we actually want?
As to bad behaviour in general, you could go into any of the so called clubs at MPA on a Thursday or Friday night and see some pretty questionable behaviour from all ranks.
As to the broader question of military discipline I agree that standards have dropped. I work at a Phase 2 trg unit and, as told to me by a very senior officer not that long ago, we have to adapt to the society of today. The intake today, at all levels, suffers from a lack of mental fortitude and often struggles to cope with sustained pressure and criticism of any sort. However, they do have lots and lots of paper qualifications.....................