PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1968 FLYING SCHOLARS?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2018, 22:21
Bellerophon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carlisle - 1969

Beagle

Passed OASC at Biggin Hill in 1968 and did my CCF Special Flying Award at Carlisle in March 1969, with several others who have remained friends and colleagues over the years. First solo in a Cessna 150 G-AWAW, with spinning done in a Beagle Pup 100 G-AWKO. Then spent the money I had saved for driving lessons on the extra five hours to get my PPL. Like many others, a flying licence before a driving licence.

As Meikleour has said, the prospects in 1970 for aspiring fast jet pilots in the RAF were rather gloomy, so, like many others, off to Hamble on the BOAC/BEA scheme. Retired after 37 years with BA, having flown at least one of the aircraft I always dreamed of flying, a fast jet but sadly not a single seater!

I consider myself immensely fortunate to have had the flying career I did, in my case only possible through the opportunities the Special Flying Award scheme and the BOAC/BEA scheme afforded me.

Like you, I am deeply saddened that keen aviation-minded youngsters of today do not have the same level of opportunity I did, in either civil or military aviation.