PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1968 FLYING SCHOLARS?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2018, 11:13
Meikleour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my CCF Special Flying Award ( non ATC Flying Scholarship) in August 1967 at Carlisle Flying Club after having completed RAF pre-selection at Biggin Hill. Sent solo in G-ATMN after 8:35 by Capt. Tod. Remember doing spinning on only my 4th. and 5th. flight! (youngsters these days etc.......)
This led to 120hrs. gained on Chipmunks at Edinburgh/East Lowlands UAS 1967-1969
Unfortunately the phasing out of Fleet Air Arm fixed wing flying led to a very depressed RAF outlook in 1970. Luckily the BEA/BOAC scheme was cranking up and took very many graduates on to OATS, myself included. Civil flying for various airlines ensued once I had quit the "shackles" of BA after 7 years! I always tell people that I got "time off for good behaviour"! Retired at 65 from a part-time flying job and continue to fly an RV6 on "blue sky days only".
Reflecting on the start and finish to my career - when I started the training was very similar to that received by the then senior pilots whereas now it seems to be very different in so many ways. The CTC cadets, many of whom I flew with, seem to have been kept on a very "short lease" during their training if you know what I mean. When you discuss 2-eng. out circuit work on B707s they look at you as if you were mad! It did build a confidence that I am sure no simulator ever can.

Last edited by Meikleour; 31st Mar 2018 at 10:04. Reason: addition