PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1968 FLYING SCHOLARS?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2018, 07:21
Preppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle,

I'm another aged old fart who spent the Summer of '68 at Kidlington OATS on a Flying Scholarship. Flew various Piper (28) 140 Cherokees plus one spinning flight in the Zlin 526, GAWJY. Instructors were Mr Charity/Baker/Cutler/Gledhill/Woodgate. Went solo on 15th August 1968 after 7:45 hrs of dual. Also paid for the extra 5 hours for my P.P.L (Thanks to Daddy Bank!)

I guess that we must have met in '69/'70 at ULAS whilst drinking in the town HQ (aka South Ken Bar.) Fortunately I was based at Imperial College so only had a short journey "home". I went solo in Chipmunk T.Mk 10 WP861 on 25 March 1969 and in my two years with ULAS had an amazing time especially at the summer camps in Thorney Island and Chivenor. I recall the ULAS instructors: Wilson/Bell/Booth/Whitaker and in Dec '69 I was standardised by CFS instructor by the name of Burrows. Eventually my two years at ULAS was over and my next flying training was at Hamble in '72.

Then followed 30+ years with a Big Airline based to the West of London and in more recent years instructing for an Aircraft Manufacturer based in Toulouse. Somehow or other, I manage to scrape through my CAA medicals so I'm still doing the occasional simulator sessions as a TRI/TRE.

Yours from just East of Windsor Great Park