PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-Flight Fire
Thread: In-Flight Fire
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2018, 07:13
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting indeed. Thank you.
At some point they said « if you smell fumes, you do not have to wait for visual confirmation or any warning systems. » I do agree but not for all situations. Let me explain below and tell me your thaughts if you wish.

I had a discussion with a colleague friend of mine as recently one of our crew did an immediate return shortly after departure as the cabin crew reported strong burning smell in the cabin. Now my friend will say he did the right things but I disagree as it was written black and white in the techlog: « expect soap burning smell due to low compressor wash ». For him, it does not matter he made the right decision as burning smell is no joke. But I tend to disagree in that particular case as the crew has been warned in the techlog that unusual smell might happen and it should be just of questions of minutes that the bad smell would disappear.
I’m not throwing rocks to my poor fellow pilots who had to deal with this unusual situation. Just would like to hear some opinions. Did you have some similar case due to engines wash?