PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HMS Ocean
Thread: HMS Ocean
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2018, 02:30
NutLoose

Received 2,920 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by Mil-26Man
The number doesn't really affect my question - beyond the extra metal, why would the larger carriers cost more than the smaller ones (they would both be fitted with the same systems to operate the same type of aircraft)? If it's versatility you're after, surely the larger ships with the larger decks and hangar space would be the way to go, no?

I always thought you need three carriers at a minimum, two does not work.. I.e one working up, one on ops and one on refit, plus no point having lots of carriers without the aircraft to give each a full complement, and at the F35 cost, it's putting all your eggs in one expensive basket.

Out of interest how many F-35's will it require to give it a credible CAP in a war situation, no point having a carrier if most of the assets are their simply to protect it.

I was actually surprised at brazil buying her, but I suspect they have a political reason to have the only 'flat top' in South America so bought what was available
Hadn't their other carrier got to its end of life and was costing a fortune to keep going?