PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - State of Safety Culture
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2018, 21:19
josephfeatherweight

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts
State of Safety Culture

I think it is a damning indictment on the state of our safety culture in this country that a thread about an aircraft (carrying passengers) that appears to have run out of fuel and made a forced landing on a highway, is locked from further discussion. Further, I think the fact that our, so-called, regulator hasn't made a comment about it, further paints the picture of the safety reporting in our industry.
What does a fresh CPL make of this sort of behaviour - do they "cover up" a mistake - "Hey, airlines do it, CASA appears to do it, the ATSB takes so long to talk about it that it doesn't matter any more - I won't mention it." With that sort of attitude, it won't be long until someone keeps "hiding" things until they run out of fuel!
Mistakes happen - sometimes big mistakes - it takes leadership and professionalism from ALL involved (pilot, company, regulator) to step up and say - "This happened, we are looking into all the reasons this happened and will strive to ensure it doesn't happen again."
Man the F%CK up...
PS - I am aware that the individual pilot in this case has probably been directed to keep his mouth shut - I'm talking more generally about people speaking up about their errors...

Last edited by josephfeatherweight; 29th Mar 2018 at 22:05. Reason: Further explanation...