PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2018, 17:44
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhino,

Perhaps I can support nab's response to your post earlier on today re F-35B, bring-back and SRVLs. I've put this information out several times, but am happy to do it again, as it seems there are still some misconceptions out there about what the F-35B can do and why the UK has gone for SRVLs.

Firstly, the F-35B is fully capable of doing a vertical landing with around 3200 pounds of internal weapons, within the range of temperatures and pressures set out in the requirements. By any standards, that's a lot of weight to bring back. (Its more than some legacy cat and trap aircraft could manage). To emphasise the point - the F-35B does not have to jettison weapons to carry out a VL. SRVL was not adopted because the F-35B can't do a VL without jettisoning weapons. I hope this is clear.

Secondly, Heat/blast effects on the deck are an issue, and are being tackled by use of new and better coatings. Vertical landings are a requirement, the decks have to be able to take them. SRVL wasn't adopted to address to heat and blast effects. I hope this is clear too.

So why has the UK gone down this route? Because there was a late change to requirements (from the UK) to be able to carry out a VL to the ship with the same bring-back, but at more demanding weather conditions. The F-35 requirement document called out the US Mil Spec 'Tropical Day'. In 2003, the UK came up and requested that studies be carried out into how to recover to the ship on what came to be called the 'UK Hot Day', which was significantly hotter and with lower pressures - this 'UK Hot Day' reflected conditions in the summer in the Northern Gulf.

Two options were looked at. First was a 'thrust push' - basically screw 10% more thrust out of the propulsion system. The second, more feasible, was SRVL.

The UK's large decks offer the chance to exploit SRVL to do exactly what the pilots are saying - to be able to come back to the deck with more fuel and weapons, reducing the need to dump fuel and allow recoveries with external stores as well. The result has been a really successful programme in which the UK has (once again) led the world in developing new carrier landing aids to help pilots get back to the deck in all weathers more safely.

Hope this helps, best regards as ever to all those getting the SRVLs cleared for use in action.

Engines