PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheelchair users in UK airports. (merged threads)
Old 29th Mar 2018, 10:52
brianardmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife uses a wheelchair to get around as she can only manage a short distance on her feet. Years ago, when she realised she had walking limitations but before we bought our own chair, we requested assistance at airports. However after a number of times being told to sit at the landslide help area until it suited the assisters to arrive usually just in time to go through security and board (thus meaning we had to sit on uncomfortable seats usually in a busy area and were precluded from getting airside to have a meal or even a coffee), we decided enough was enough and bought our own chair.

Before we used our own chair On one occasion at Gatwick we were separated by the assisters who would only take her on the buggy to the flight, I had to walk on a different route to the gate. The upshot was that as I was about to board there was no sign of her and two other people. They had been forgotten about in an upstairs corridor!

Since we now have our own chair we can at least make our way airside, but have had many instances where the assistance failed to arrive and the boarding gate staf had to either help or call for urgent assistance. We have been last on board a few times. At the other end, on at least three occasions at Heathrow T5 we have still been on board the arriving aircraft between 30 and 45 minutes. This will have ruined the aircraft turn around.

In general, despite a couple of upsets, European assistance is far better, usually on time and helpful. What will visitors to the UK think of us when they are greeted by inefficient and sometimes surly or lackadaisical assistance staff at our major airports. I shudder to think.

Sorry to go on a bit, but these issues make air travel for those needing help even more stressful than it should be - and I am not even mentioning the myriad problems encountered going through security with a wheelchair. My wife has been reduced to tears on more than one occasion.