PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 crash during Cat 3A ILS 2006. Auto-pilot stuff up
Old 29th Mar 2018, 09:23
The Cassidy Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, a disclaimer- these comments more relate to the anecdotal example above than the report that has been linked.

That said, this whole issue gives me the sh*ts.

I'll counter with another rumour/hearsay- the one that the cp at our outfit wanted to ban us from flying visual approaches because people were cocking them up too often. Surely, the answer to this has to be to fly them more, not less?

I fly for an outfit where I _know_ that the guys pride themselves on not being the type of low experience cookie cutter pilot who can't confidently fly this typeof thing. Yet I reckon at least half the time, when I tell the other guy I'm going to disconnect everything at 10k feet I get looked at sideways like I'm a madman. Don't get me wrong, these are good, capable guys, but it seems the system is set up to dissuade them from practicing the very skills that they need to keep sharp. I mean if you can't confidently do it on a gin clear day with everything going for you, what chance do you have on a dark and stormy night when it all turns to s**t?