PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2018, 20:50
coboltblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I知 just looking for a little advice. My situation is as follows

I知 currently 15 months through a 3-year course to become a Merchant Navy Deck Officer, I love the navigation side of the course. Having been to sea once already I have however realized I知 just not passionate about shipping or the ships themselves.

I worked in the airline industry before as cabin crew in the UK and the Middle East, then planned roster for a low-cost carrier in Australia. I have always loved the Airline Industry, but it has taken being involved in another transportation sector to make me realize planes, airports, and hotels are my home, and a taste of navigation to make me dream of moving from the cabin to the cockpit.

My issue is I知 36 years old and I値l be almost 39 by the time I finish my Merchant Navy Cadetship.

The ways I see it is I have 2 options

1: Finish the cadetship and try to get a job onboard a ship as an Officer and uses the cash and time off to get my fATPL.

2: Quit now and use the cash I saved in the middle east to go get my license and try to get back into an Industry I know and love doing a job I aspire to.

I'm looking to book my first flying lesson, to get the ball rolling.

Any advice would be great.