PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2018, 19:26
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MANFOD
If the comments regarding value engineering on the TP are accurate, then that experience may not improve dramatically despite the original high hopes.

The other point that strikes me, from observations by various contributors on this and other forums, is the perception that MAN seems short of ambition.
With some of the actions and decisions taken, it doesn't always present itself, or come across, as an International Gateway airport.
The TP project is much more disruptive and visible than other similar projects, such as LHR T2 and T5. I think the decision to dramatically expand T2 is the right one, at least its a sensible shape for an airport terminal, unlike T1. Although demolition of T1 seems to have been kicked into the long grass, I think it will happen eventually, hopefully as part of a dramatic T3 overhaul, which I think is the most cramped, crowded and badly laid-out of all the terminals.

Im not sure the perception that MAN is short of ambition is a true reflection of what they have achieved. MAN is incredibly competitive with easyJet, Ryanair and Jet2 slogging it out in Europe, Thomas Cook and Virgin doing well on the long hauls and flyBe doing....well whatever it is flyBe do around the UK. 3x daily A380 to DXB, up to 2x daily AUH, IST and DOH, daily SIN and Houston with SQ, daily HKG with Cathay. The US3 are also present, although destinations and frequencies tend to wax and wane.

In terms of destinations, airlines and the overall mix of options for customers I think MAN is unrivalled globally, probably due to the lack of a traditional based airline. The terminals are going to be a mess for at least 5 more years, hopefully the roads will improve much sooner, ideally before the summer season gets into full swing.