PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flexible roster causing child contact issues
Old 28th Mar 2018, 09:58
anchorhold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mikehotel152, I agree unfortunately it is a horrible field and the impression I get is that more young childless women are entering into family law as barristers or solicitors, I think lot of 'hands on' fathers these days do not want to practice in family law.

Back to JBBFLY just a couple more points:

(a) Further a recent development if you are represented, and if you need a barrister, you can now find 'direct access' barristers, this means you can cut out the middle man in terms of the solicitor. The only down side is you might need to be good at paperwork and be able to put together the bundles (evidence), however the barrister would probably write the skeleton argument.

(b) If you go down the Litigant in person (LIP) route there is a free guide which you can download to you PC in PDF format. It is quite lengthy, but an up to date guide and good for reference and it is wrtten by five circuit judges. Here is the link:
https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/publica...-civil-221013/

(c) If you are a LIP, while historically you can bring a litigation friend, often called a McKenzie friend, some charge expenses, but to warn you that there is a move in law to ban them, firstly attending court and secondly charging expenses. But if you want a friend to attend with you, it is normally couteous to ask the judge's permission through a court clerk, even though the judge I doubt can refuse. It is just that a hearing in private is not open to the general public which is why you should ask.

(d) Finally, if you win your case you can claim expenses against the other party. So £17.00/hr for your time, photocopies at £10.00 for the first 10, thereafter 50p per sheet, so a 300 page bundle you can charge around £155 a bundle, you may need up to five. Also remember to keep a log of your calls, emails, travelling expenses, etc.. One final thing there was a recent case in the high court where two parents were wrongly prevented from seeing their children by social services for one year, the local authority had to compensate the parents for £12,000. I know of a father who is attempting to apply to same to a mother who will not let him see his children, despite a contact order. It might be worth considering, on the other hand perhapps that might make things more adversarial, which might not be the best way forward.