PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2018, 08:27
roverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the balance right

I wonder if it's time to review the risk of terrorist action which lead to the closing of the drop-off lane closest to T3 and also at other terminals and indeed other airports.

I am no expert in these matters but I would have thought that it would be possible to prevent a vehicle actually entering the building by placing some form of low barrier immediately in front of the window line, and thereby keeping all drop-off lanes open. That would leave the doorways as soft spots but considerably reduce the overall opportunity. We must be living with some level of risk at the moment, as a bomb-laden vehicle can be driven close to the frontage, where blast could still harm those within the building, and there will always be gatherings of people at the front of a terminal.

I may be shot down for saying this but taking a pragmatic view we live with risk daily, whether it be crossing a busy road or going shopping. You could still drive a car through the windows of most supermarkets, and there are hundreds of people inside.

Terrorist attacks are shocking but they are still comparatively rare. Whilst I wouldn't advocate removing all safety measures at airports I also don't believe that removing some of them would lead to a rise in attacks. There is something of a security industry and culture which has now grown up as politicians need to be seen to respond to the 'threat'. The security industry benefits from us all being scared of imminent attack and likes to promote this sense of threat.

One of the greatest 'threats' to our fine air transport industry is making it such a pain to fly that some people now don't bother.