PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turnberry Info.
Thread: Turnberry Info.
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2003, 22:13
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Circuit Basher for that URL - I'll cross-check the information on there against the A4A Airfields List. I doubt there'll be any significant differences, but every cross-check helps, as it's important to have accurate up-to-date information for lobbying purposes.

I'm always very grateful (on behalf of A4A) to receive information on airfields open and closed. I have all the information from the published flight guides, but there is far more that is not in the public domain but which is extremely useful when we are fighting to defend airfields under threat.

I'm sad to read that another "promulgated as active" airfield has quietly closed. We're down now to 131 licenced, 50 military open to GA, and 21 unlicensed but freely available to GA.

There's an undefined (and probably undefinable) number of "private" strips that are available if the pilot asks - best estimate I have is that there are 518 of those (bound to be wrong). Then there are the places that don't accept GA or "dissuade" it such as EGLL, and then there are glider and microlight fields...

Sadly, there are a few airfields/strips whose owners don't want their existence known about, because of the threats to their continuation that might mean. That says something about "complainers" who don't know an airfield is there until someone else tells them, but will then go out of their way to get it closed down.

Martin:
The "official" ARP for Turnberry is the CAA one (I suggest), which is 551933N 0044928W. That's where the "ring" is on our charts. There are at least half a dozen different locations given in different publications - most (but not all) of them somewhere on the airfield.