PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in East River, NYC
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2018, 14:54
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
I always found ...best range auto was achieved ( using 206 numbers) using Min RPM, 80 KTS plus 1/2 the wind ...once spot is made slight flare to reduce speed while lowering collective to regain max rpm before the big flare and landing. If necessary you could maintain min RPM and high speed to the flare but you needed to make a really BIG flare at the bottom and maybe even a run on. ( highly not recommended in a ditching scenario ) the same in 205/212, 350, 355, ect.
I used to teach going immediately to best range numbers if altitude allowed . ( I was training high time pilots not ab initio guys.)
Used to demonstrate a full on auto using max RPM and 60 then enter from the same spot using the long range settings ...amazing how much farther we would go. (NO we did not do full ons in twin engine aircraft).
Min Rate was RPM at the bottom of the green and 60kts. However in this scenario collective would need to be lowered at a sane altitude to return RPM to the top of the arc ..otherwise it was not going to be nice at the bottom.

In this case I am amazed at how much the pilot was able to after the engine quit! I had an engine resign at 750' feet one time and had to do a 270 degree auto. However the loud explosion and chip light coming on led me to believe that a relight was not going to happen so I did not attempt one. Still it was a busy time.

Last edited by albatross; 27th Mar 2018 at 15:11.