PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian burning cash!
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2018, 20:39
RexBanner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To clarify I’m not wishing to see anyone out of a job, not for one minute. I’ve been through it before myself and it’s not pleasant. History does tell us though that airlines will come and go. It’s the unfortunate nature of our industry and profession. I’m just as interested as anyone to see how it does turn out for Norwegian, it’d be an absolute game changer if they could get it to work. However my gut feeling is the model just can’t fit the environment of long haul.

High aircraft utilisation, high turnover of passengers (potentially up to eight different sets of passengers to sell stuff to per aircraft each day), no need to nightstop crew etc these are all fundamental staples of low cost airlines on short haul that simply cannot be replicated on Long Haul. I think it speaks volumes that Ryanair and easyJet have never attempted it and still have no interest after seeing Norwegian’s initial forays.

The premium cabin heavily subsidises the economy cabin, that’s why it raises eyebrows to attempt to fill a wide body jet with the lowest yielding passengers there are, incidentally the ones who will be the first to stop flying in any downturn. The proof will be in the pudding and who knows, I could be left with egg on my face.