PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tinnitus
Thread: Tinnitus
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2018, 14:30
P.H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I have had a high pitched scream over both ears for many years. GA through Turbo props to many years of flying jets with one ear uncovered for conversation across the flight deck.

My audigram shows no significant loss for my age (64) and I never subscribed to the Bose/ear plug route as frankly I like to hear things drop off my aircraft rather than read about them on EICAS.

My wife is suffering badly but having had scans and tests there is nothing obviously wrong. She started hers after a particularly bad sinus infection. These have been common through hay fever every year but this one's left permanent damage.

If your audiogram is OK then your career shouldn't be affected. Good Luck.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, aviation industry is a noisy environment and it seems that quite a few of us suffer from tinnitus :/ I currently fly turboprop also and try to protect my ears as much as I can. Still I keep wondering is it the flying that still keeps making it worse or is it just slowly progressing like that no matter if I fly or not. Didnt have any issues with my ears before and flying didnt cause any issues even when I had flu, so I have difficulties to find cause for whats making it worse. My audiogram was very good and I have had four of those during the past 11 month that I have had this so I guess my hearing is not worsening which is good.
Has tinnitus affected your life or flying in any way or have you just got used to it so it doesnt bother you anymore at all? is your tinnitus very loud or just mild?

regards
PH