PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest information on CASA giant 40nm 5,000 foot CTAFs
Old 26th Mar 2018, 12:20
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Hi 'LB', I dunno what the current situation is at Hedland - honestly, I couldn't be bothered to look it up.

The last I heard (some time ago now) was that one of our ex Perth FSO's was still 'having fun' as the 'CAGRO'.

I used to fly out of PD 'many moons' ago - it was a 'dump' then and is more of a 'dump' now...IMHO of course....
For example, 'Derbs' was 'GREAT' in comparison.... Now, that should tell you something.... I remained in 'Derbs' for the better part of 3 years - by choice.

Many 'moons ago' whilst still in Perth FSC, I heard that Canada had adopted the 'AFIZ' and the 'Remote AFIZ' concept rather than inserting 'Towers' in some of their more 'remote' busy aerodromes.
It was cheaper than ATC providing a 'Tower' service.

"Remote AFIZ' being where the Zone is serviced by a FSO (or Canadian equivalent) from a Centre location, many miles away in a Capital City somewhere providing the 'AFIZ' service....Just like when we in WA operated 'Broome' as a "Remote AFIZ', initially from Derby, then later, operated all Remote AFIZ's from Perth FSC, almost 'pretending' if you like, that we were in the location.

Callsign was 'Perth'.

However, to be honest, I cannot justify the claim with numbers or names of Canadian aerodromes concerned.

It was reportedly seen as an 'economic' solution that worked - just like 'ours' did.

Just 'for info'.....

Cheers...

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 26th Mar 2018 at 12:35.