PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Failed interview, learned lessons
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2018, 18:37
moendiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed interview, learned lessons

Hi all!

This is my first message in this site, hope you help me about my interview and give me feedbacks for improving my skills.

About a month ago, I have been to an interview which did not resulted positive, let me briefly summarize the situation and please tell your opinions about it.

I am an engineer working for two and a half year in a totally different industry. I was not considering to be a pilot till I heard that an airline offers an option for everybody who graduated from university and pays their flying school costs if they succes their interviews and exams etc. So after I heard that opportunity I started searching and the more I search, the more I become passionate about it. Now ı failed the interview but ı got one more chance for it.

there were three person in the interview two of them (one man one woman) were from HR and one of them was a captain pilot.

HRM: please tell us about yourself, your education and your relation about becoming pilot?

Me: Told about my educational background and experiences, the similarities between my current job and pilots responsibilities etc. and how I have heard about the issue and decided to be a pilot.

HRM: why do you want to be a pilot? You are working in a company in which many people want to work and now you want to quit your job and want to start a different career?

ME: Told about my motivation for aviation... and added about dynamic working hours of pilots are also matching more with my character than 8 to five office job.

HRW: u said that u heard that option at 2013 than why did not you apply this job before? ( ı want your ideas especcially for the answer of this question)

ME: After I heard that option I started considering to become a pilot, first I shared my ideas with my girlfriend and family, however their first impressions was like;

girlfriend: you will all be away from home ı will be alone so ı dont want you to be a pilot.

family: you have graduated from hard and reputable university, u gave your years for becoming an engineer and now you want to be a pilot? (my dad has flying fobia btw. and they also did not want me to apply.

so honestly ı told what happened in the past. and after ı graduated from university at 2014, I have completed compulsory military service. after that one of the biggest companies of the country called me from a career site and the interviews resulted positive. and ı started working in that company but becoming pilot was always in my mind. furthermore, as a fresh graduate ı was not able to see how boring an 8 to 5 job can become. ( did not tell this to them
So after two years of working ı convinced my family and girlfriend for the issue and applied the job.

(After this answer ı think they thought ı am not motivated enough for the job beacuase ı postponed it for other peoples ideas)

HRW: How did you convince ur girlfirend and family?

Me: We are planning to marry next year with my girlfriend and will spend all of our time together. I told her this issue will affect our lives as well. ıf ı do a job which does not satisfy me, I wont be a happy person and indirectly that thing will affect our happines too.

HRW: dont get me wrong but this sounds me very non-physical. isnt there any other more tangible reasons?

Me: ( ı was a little shocked with the answer and the story was true ı convinced her like that) No, ıf you mean money or etc while telling "tangible" i did not convinced her with these kind of things ı just made her believe that i will be a happier person and that will affect all our lives.

----
Captain: U said ur responsibilities for your current job also includes taking fast and accurate decisions and your mistakes can result incidents.

Me: yes.

Captain: and your current job is also stressfull right?

Me: right sir.

Captain: can u score stress level 1 to 10 of ur current job and also score ur stress level if u become a pilot?

Me: (at that time ı thought he wanted to hear their job is very stressfull and not an easy job) so ı scored higher stress level for being a pilot. but now as an outsider ı dont think ı will have more stressfull life, contrary ı think will have less stress. (ı work in a heavy industry where can be dangerous work accidents btw.)

it took 25 minutes and these were the topics which leaded my interview to fail I think. Please share your ideas about it and thank you already four your answers.

Last edited by moendiz; 1st Apr 2018 at 10:16.